Last week of February is about to start. Time flies, as they say.
- Texas (and other parts of the southern US I guess) have been hit by heavy winter storms, with accompanying power grid failures and such. We have some relatives there so it’s a concern. Meanwhile, their governor falsely blames renewables for the power problems and their senator went to Cancun.
- Facebook cut off Australian news links. I think both sides of these are dumb, but that is the big tech controversy of the week.
- NASA has landed the Perseverance rover on Mars!
- Unsurprisingly, we still do not have vaccines in this country.
Links of interest:
- Why Generation X Will Save the Web. I’m generation X! I think?
- Sci-fi author John Scalzi shares some thoughts on “being cancelled”
- In regards to front-end web development: The web didn’t change; you did.
- The Big List of Personal Websites. A lot of blogs to browse!
- Noah Smith shares some sci-fi novel recommendations. Saving to go through later to add to my perennially-behind-book-backlog.
- Have a bunch of family and medical stuff to do this coming week, so I don’t expect to be very productive.
- We had a Globe fiber internet outage last week, starting Tuesday afternoon until Thursday morning. So I spent all of Ash Wednesday without internet, which is appropriate as a bit of penitencia I guess. Spent the downtime complaining at their customer support account, and also reading and playing offline things. I thought about writing a post about their customer service, but it was an actual outage that affected a bunch of people in the area, and the customer service can’t really do much about that, so it seems a bit mean to pile on now that the service has been restored (and I seem to have gotten a rebate for the lost days). Maybe I’ll still write the post, we’ll see.
- Still sketching.
- Caught up with B99 up to season 7. Looks like the final season might not come out until 2022 though.
- I went ahead and finished The Expanse season 5 yesterday. Overall the season wasn’t as exciting as some of the earlier ones, but still pretty good.
- WandaVision ended on another cliffhanger this week as usual, and it wasn’t a big surprise for me, given everyone on reddit had been predicting it. Two eps to go, hoping for a strong finish!
- I played a lot of Kaldheim limited this week, drafts at first as usual, then I did some sealeds to prep for the Arena Open, which I also did as the season finale for the Kaldheim limited youtube playlist. I enjoyed this format, though I wasn’t super good at it (mostly my fault, since I didn’t really read up on pick orders and such early on). It’s fun and challenging. Looking forward to Strixhaven!
- Thanks to our internet outage, I finished Knightin’! There’s a couple of achievements I haven’t gotten which I’m not sure if I’ll bother - they’re for doing a speedrun and a no-death run, both of which I can probably do with a bit of practice, but not sure it’s worth it. I did like the game though, I might write a short review this week.
- Second Fire Emblem Three Houses run still in progress.
- Books: Thanks to our internet outage, I finished reading Cory Doctorow’s “Walkaway”. Also started reading Scott Berkun’s Ghost of my Father, which turned out to be a quick read, will probably finish it tonight or tomorrow.
This coming week:
- penultimate WandaVision ep!
- Street Fighter 6 first drop for season 5
- Civ6 New Frontier Pass free update for February (improved Barbarians mode!)
- Superman and Lois premiering this week
- Holiday on Thursday! (EDSA)
- AboutQuiz league season finale
- various family celebrations and medical errands