This is basically a movie that’s more than 3 years old, we’re not holding back on spoilers here.
- plot basically follows the same beats as the theatrical cut
- except this time we have a lot more team setup time (one of my criticisms from the previous version), giving the characters stronger backgrounds, especially Cyborg and Flash
- Ray Fisher was right to complain; in this version he’s one of the important characters of the ensemble while he was basically a minor guest character in the theatrical cut
- more DC characters make appearances in this version, among them Ryan Choi, DeSaad, Granny Goodness, Martian Manhunter, the Joker and of course Darkseid himself
- I accept this version as a better version of the original theatrical release and is my new DCEU headcanon
- it never would have worked in theaters anyway, given the four hour runtime. Maybe if they split it into two movies… (and I actually did take two sittings to watch this one!)
- anyway, this version does a much better job of setting up any succeeding movies, including the upcoming Flash movie (although I’m not sure if the changes cause any continuity issues with the 2019 Aquaman movie… not that the DCEU cares too much about continuity anyway…)