“The important work of moving the world forward does not wait to be done by perfect men.” - George Eliot
- Fitch downgrades PH credit rating outlook to “negative”
- Pacquiao ousted from PDP-Laban by an opposing faction, just as he’s preparing for his upcoming fight.
- Covid-19 delta variant has been detected in the PH, let’s hope the government can keep it under control.
- Valve has announced the Steam Deck, a handheld PC for playing Steam games
Links of interest:
- Hobson’s Browser: How Apple, Facebook, and Google Broke the Mobile Browser Market by Silently Undermining User Choice
- The unreasonable effectiveness of just showing up everyday. The article itself is mostly about bootstrapping a startup, but the concept of “just showing up everyday” really resonated with me.
- Twitter thread: Dogecoin co-founder Jackson Palmer shares his current thoughts about cryptocurrency
- A little personal story regarding something the author thinks Automattic does especially good (sic)
- Cory Doctorow on Facebook’s alternative facts
Visit the Links page for more links of interest.
From the archives, this week in history:
- 2015: I travelled to London for work for 3 months!
- 2015: The first time we won a quiz night?
- 2015: RIP Satoru Iwata
- had a couple more family escort missions this week, but those should be the last ones til August.
- Still sketching; As is typical, I’m behind by a couple of days again. I liked this sketch I did of the Cantina band (or part of them at least):
- Movies: Actually managed to watch a fair amount of movies this week!
- TV: Watched Barry season 1 and of course the Loki season 1 finale. Also started watching Superstore season 5, since I saw it’s on Prime Video now.
- Still playing Horizon Zero Dawn and Guilty Gear Strive regularly. Also decided to revive my Wasteland 2 save for some reason. Also woke up my Disgaea 4 (Vita) save game since I had to wait in a corridor for a while during an errand this week.
- Still drafting the latest MTG set Adventures in the Forgotten Realms on Magic Arena, you can follow via the MTGAFR tag
- Regular Saturday group played some Root and Blood Rage again, as usual.
- Some friends got me into playing this web-based version of Advance Wars, which hopefully Nintendo takes a while to notice.
- Reading: No books this week, mostly just comics. Yet again.
- No online quiz night for the trivia team this week, we just indulged ourselves with the NY Times crossword and spelling bee again.
This coming week:
- Huh no big events coming up, maybe I can actually get some stuff done.